Thursday, February 3, 2011

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

I used to always be looking for a quick fix when it came to weight loss.
I tried a few short term diet plans that offered fast weight loss in a short amount of time. Unfortunately, most of the 'fast fixes' are so drastic that I ended up quitting soon after starting.

This is the first time I set a realistic goal. Losing 6-7 pounds a month does not require extreme changes to my life. I can easily visualize myself in 5 months, after losing 30-35 pounds. One month is already completed and now I only have 4 to go!

I've learned to try something new every day. Sometimes, I try a new food and sometimes I try a new strategy. I've investigated websites and exercise ideas. Each week I add something new to my grocery list. This gradual day to day process has been very manageable for me and the best part is that it is WORKING.

It has been challenging to cook for my family and still eat my preferred foods. Tonight was one example. I made spaghetti and meatballs for the family, but I had a small portion of whole wheat pasta with marinara sauce and scallops. I was very satisfied and did not stare longingly at everyone else's plates. One night I made a stir fry dinner for all of us. I limited myself to a reasonable portion and skipped the rice I made for everyone else. We were all happy.

I'm not the only person who is trying out the new foods in our kitchen either. My son loves smoothies and chocolate fiber bars. My husband and I both like to snack on Barbeque flavored PopOChips. And we all love oatmeal cookies -although I have to be careful not to overindulge on them myself. There really are a lot of good, high fiber, low calorie foods out there.

Being disciplined about listing everything in my food log daily has been critical. Even when I want to snack, I worry about not exceeding my daily calorie count. Some days my weight doesn't change at all, but still I know that I have to stay on the path to Thinville.

Just like the Tortoise and the Hare: Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

No comments:

Post a Comment