Thursday, February 17, 2011

Adding Food, But Not Pounds

Most people feel that losing weight means giving up food. I have learned the substitution rule for losing weight: Add more fruits and vegetables - Remove fats and carbs. This philosophy has filled me up, but not filled me out. It has been great to eat until I am satisfied and not feel guilty.

There are many benefits to eating more fruits and vegetables. For one, we are less likely to overeat because fruits and vegetables displace fat in the diet. There are many healthy, disease-preventing qualities in produce as well.

I have found that adding vegetables into my meals instead of serving them as side dishes has helped me on this journey. It has been relatively easy for me to incorporate a variety of vegetables into many dishes, pastas, and soups. Veggies add volume to many sandwiches without penalties as well.

I love the contradiction of being disciplined and still eating to my heart’s content. Produce gives me the right to eat with a little reckless abandon.

Eating more does not mean gaining more.

No comments:

Post a Comment