Friday, February 18, 2011

Detour Ahead

The thing about trying to be disciplined is that nobody is perfect. Sometimes, I just can't stay on track the way I would like to. Today was one of those days that I veered off the main road to Thinville and took a detour.

During the day, I stayed on course with my eating. By nightfall, my weekend tendencies kicked in. The husband brought home one of my favorite 'take out' dishes: Bang Bang Shrimp, from Bonefish Grill .

Although Bang Bang Shrimp is a seafood dish, those little shellfish are fried and covered in a deliciously creamy hot sauce -that must be full of fat and calories. Bonefish always sends baked bread to accompany the take out shrimp and tonight I had to taste a slice of the freshly baked loaf - actually two. Oh, and I might have added a few pats of butter to my bread too. Throwing caution to the wind, I also decided to enjoy one of my husband's special raspberry martinis as well. It is the weekend, after all.

My calorie count for the day isn't crazy, but my body took in a lot of extra fat and sugar tonight.

The nice thing about detours is that they are temporary. There is always a route back to the main road. Tomorrow, I will get back on track and take advantage of warmer weather outside. My dog is always up for hiking a couple miles. Once I get out into the fresh air, I always enjoy it as well. Exercise offers me the option of burning off a few of those extra calories I enjoyed tonight. As a result, my Fun Food Friday won't be a great setback.

Yes, taking detours usually mean slowing down the trip and delaying arrival times. Choosing this alternate route may delay my arrival to Thinville, but some detours make life a little more enjoyable and interesting.

Happiness is a direction, not a place. ~Sydney J. Harris


No comments:

Post a Comment