Thursday, February 10, 2011

Fabulous Fiber

Fiber is not the enemy after all.
I never thought I could lose weight because I love bread and bread products so much. Since beginning this journey, I am realizing that whole grain fibers come in all shapes and sizes and are very tasty too. I have found whole wheat/high fiber English muffins, whole wheat bagel thins (only 110 calories each), and tasty whole grain breads. I can still have a toasted muffin in the morning or a sandwich for lunch and not risk calorie overdose.


I really expected to give up all bread products when I began this journey. I am learning that giving up the things I love is NOT the way to lose weight. Making small changes is still the best way to stay on the right path. There are lots of good choices to be made that don’t force me to give up the things I love.

And fiber is not just found in bread and grain products. It is in almonds and peanuts. I love it in some of favorite cereals and crackers. There are many delicious fiber filled types of squash. Even baked potatoes are allowable, if I don’t load them up with butter and other off limit toppings. Many delicious fruits contain fiber, like watermelon or strawberries.

My biggest challenge is that I don’t do margarine. Butter is almost a requirement on my favorite toasted bagels or toast. However, I am learning that a small amount of butter can go a long way. The same is true of my love for mayonaisse on sandwiches. I used to load it on- and I like real mayo. As I said, small changes and using small amounts means I don’t have to give up eating what I like.

Today I was shocked to discover that I have lost 10 pounds! It has been 5 weeks and still I don’t feel like I am dieting! I can’t wait to arrive at my first milestone goal of 13 pounds, which should be only days away.

Thinville or Bust!

No comments:

Post a Comment