Thursday, January 27, 2011

Stir Fry Queen


I’ve never before spent so much time looking at fresh fruits and vegetables. The produce section keeps calling my name. I can’t find enough items to cook up into a stir fry.

My enjoyment of stir fry recipes has been somewhat surprising. I am a true carnivore and have always planned every meal around a meat entrée. I did not anticipate being so satisfied by the change in my meals and menus. There are even some days when I don’t eat meat at all.

I have also learned that cutting up vegetables does not take much more time than some of my previous menus did. Some of my favorite stir fry veggies are peppers, green beans, mushrooms, eggplant, squash and broccoli. I include onions or scallions in almost every dish since the caramelized final product is delicious. I've even discovered that most stir fry veggies are already cut and packaged in the frozen section of the grocery. Adding some lean cuts of red meat, chicken, shrimp or scallops just adds to the delight of my taste buds.



I am getting equally creative with the flavors I am adding to my recipes. Garlic always adds the right amount of kick. Soy sauce or teriyaki (low sodium is best) and red wine vinegar also add some variety. When I am in the mood for something spicy, I can even add hot sauce.
I discover new vegetables and flavors to add all the time. If this keeps up, I might even invest in a true stir fry skillet. New habits leads to new weight loss!
I am fast becoming the 'Stir Fry Queen'.

No comments:

Post a Comment