Monday, January 24, 2011

Rotisserie Chicken is my friend...

I confess: I LOVE the rostisserie chicken that they make at my local grocery.

I like to buy the 'savory' flavor and it is very true to its name. I always get comments on how delicious the chicken smells when I am in the checkout line too. Once I arrive home, even my dog is begging me to pour chicken drippings over her food bowl (well, I guess I am to blame for that part). I usually can't resist a little chunk of warm chicken when I arrive home after grocery shopping.

Some temptations are bad- others can work. The good thing about my passion for poultry is that it is a lowfat protein. It works in a stir fry with veggies, with whole grain pasta or cut up into chicken salad. Heck, I eat it as a snack all by itself!

Now chicken skin is another story. The fatty, but flavorful, outer covering of the chicken is off limits. Pretty much all the rest of that delicious little bird is up for grabs. Grabbing and gobbling it up are my specialties.

My only chicken vice is my preference for dark meat. I have always found the taste of a thigh or leg to be much more flavorful than a breast. Recently, I researched the white vs. dark controversy. To my delight, I discovered that my dark meat desires may not be such a big problem after all.

Yes, White meat is the leanest part of the chicken- BUT

 Dark meat contains more zinc, niacin, thiamin, amino acids and iron
than white meat
 Dark meat is richer in riboflavin and contains vitamins A, K, B6, B12
 Even the fats in most dark meats contain Omega-3, Omega-6 and
other ‘healthy fats’
 Most of the saturated fat is found in the SKIN of the chicken anyway

I even found a breakdown of the calorie comparisons between white meat and dark meat at www.Dietbites.com:

Chicken Thigh- 3 ounces, Calories 133, Fat grams 4.1
Chicken Breast- 3 ounces, Calories 142, Fat grams 3.1
Chicken Drumstick- 3 ounces, Calories 151, Fat grams 5.0

In my opinion, the comparisons between white meat and dark meat aren't all that significant. So now I can enjoy a breast or a thigh without any guilt.
Cock a doodle doo!

No comments:

Post a Comment