Friday, January 21, 2011

Calorie Counting, Portion Control, blah, blah, blah...

Tonight was about calories and portion awareness- yuck! We had a family
dinner out at a fun Hibachi restaurant and then came home to celebrate my son's birthday with cake and ice cream. It just isn't a lot of fun to limit portions when I am faced with so many delicious food choices.



I miss the days of my youth when I could polish off half a bag of oreos with milk an hour before dinner without thinking twice. I never thought about my activity level then, but the comparisons to life now are obvious.

As a child, I spent hours outside walking, biking and climbing through the neighborhood. We walked to school daily and watched T.V. about an hour a day. There were no computers and we hardly spent any time inside. Even up until my late 20's, weight was never an issue.

As an adult now, I spend nearly all of my day indoors working and come home after work exhausted. I am lucky to have enough energy to cook dinner, let alone exercise. Gone are the days when physical activity was built into my day. I try to walk the dog and get to the gym a few times a week, but what a drag. It just doesn't seem right to have to schedule time to get my heart rate up. I wish I could limit my portions to fist size, but I just like food too much. I know my life is now about choices and I have to pick my poison: food or fat?

I didn't overindulge tonight, but I could have been more disciplined about the amounts of food I ate. I know that my trip to Thinville could go a lot faster if I had just a little more willpower.

I am still as determined as ever. Truthfully, tonight was the first night I had a treat like cake since beginning this journey 3 weeks ago. Tomorrow is another day.

The scale is still going down,and my motivation keeps going up.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
- Confucius

No comments:

Post a Comment